Sunday, January 16, 2011

An American Joke about Canadians =)

A bunch of guys got together after discovering some new land, so the decided to name it. So the first guy asks; "what should we name our land?"
Guy 2 "C EH?"
Guy 3 "N EH?"
Guy 4 "D EH?"

And so it was called Canada =)

I guess I'll work backwards on this post and list the things I did today in a reverse order.
During the cultural training that we had today the most important thing I learned was "It's not right or wrong, it's just different" The story comes from a big white guy who was walking through India, on the streets, and had large amounts of food thrown at him as he walked down the street. The main reason was because in India, they had seen white people before, but it was usually in a car as they were on their way to some place. Never had they seen a white person walking down the street. You can imagine how this guy must have felt when people were throwing food and other wonderful things at him as he walked down the street, but what he found out was, they just wanted to shake his hand or take a picture with him and that was their cultural way of getting his attention. So lesson of the day for me was "It's not right or wrong, it's just different".

Now, this ties into something interesting I found out about India as well, which I have read in books but thought to be a myth or an event that I would be able to fortunately avoid. However, with a strange twist of events, I have unveiled that it is true, and I will for sure have men in India approach me and hold my hand and/or put their hand on my leg. Yes, so for those that know me well and how well I do with physical contact of any person (male or female) at that point in time, I will be saying "It's not right or wrong, it's just different"

So with a change of pace, I mainly wanted to blog about the church I went to today. It's called open life church and it was phenomenal! There were easily 1000 ish people worshiping at the same time at this church and the worship was like an urbana worship conference!  People were essentially running up to the front like it was a mosh pit and then jumping up and down as they sang praises to God =) Here's a short clip of it. . . I had to make it really short cuz it was in service and it's weird to take pictures/videos during service. Sidenote for Architects: they have a crazy structural ceiling system that I forgot to take pictures of but I'll take pictures tomorrow when I go again. The I-Beams are rotated at a 90 degree angle, so it's more like an H-Beam. We spoke about that on the way back to base-camp and were unsure of why the structural engineer or architect would do that. The span that it allowed for was pretty big though.

No comments:

Post a Comment